A place for discussion of general audio, music and related topics.
Post a reply

Another interesting new project

October 20th, 2016, 3:29 pm

You may have heard of Jan Didden. He has been a contributor to audioXpress for some time. He has a new project for a small extremely low noise switch mode power supply for OP Amps and digital circuits. Here is a link.

Tom

http://www.audioxpress.com/article/sile ... ickstarter

Re: Another interesting new project

October 20th, 2016, 7:33 pm

On the list.

Waiting on mine to arrive.

October 26th, 2016, 1:06 pm

I wonder how it would sound on heaters (say a 6SN7)?

October 26th, 2016, 3:11 pm

Not enough current capability.

October 26th, 2016, 5:37 pm

It says 1A and 6SN7 only need .6A?

October 26th, 2016, 6:03 pm

I agree with Tom. You have to account for the turn-on surge and plus you don't have much wiggle room for the power supply to run reliably.

October 26th, 2016, 6:24 pm

Ok, thanks.

October 26th, 2016, 7:52 pm

I'd be a little cautious of the 1 amp rating. That output is if you push the input voltage up to max and I generally don't like to work in that range. It also is 6 volts out and DC. According to some people you can get migration of the filament material on either tube or light bulb filaments with DC which can shorten life. Not being a tube guy I also don't know what the lower voltage would do to tube performance. I don't know if this board has fold back current limiting but if it does and sees the cold filament current it may shut down. But for OP AMP and digital circuits it looks great.

Tom

October 27th, 2016, 10:43 am

tomp wrote:According to some people you can get migration of the filament material on either tube or light bulb filaments with DC which can shorten life.

That's much more likely to be an issue with directly heated tubes than on the heaters of indirectly heated tubes like the 6SN7, 12A?7s etc. When I build DHT amps with DC filaments, I reverse the polarity between the left & right tubes so I can periodically swap tubes between channels to mitigate any problems that may be a result of using DC. I don't think it's a real serious issue, especially in small signal tubes. Many of the early tubes were designed to run off batteries for filament supplies....

Roscoe

October 27th, 2016, 11:58 am

Yup, what Rosco said. Also, in my setup, my IDH triodes are quiet enough on AC although I could get DEAD silence with DC. AC also sounds better IMHO unless you really take significant steps with DC.

I run a single section of 6S(x)7 so I used to run swapped sides to add usable life to my tubes but then I played around with dissimilar dual triodes and had to revert back to identical hookups in my monoblocks.

DBerning method of running super high fz AC is interesting in that you might get the sonics of AC with the noise WAY out of audible range but I have 2" space limitation for heater PS so that is a no go.
Post a reply