New users MUST post an introduction here to gain full membership
Post a reply

Re: Hi

June 8th, 2016, 3:31 pm

The LMR-100 is crude compared to the Phaseflex. The Phaseflex comes in two flavors and I've equal success with both. Either a highly polished silver-clad copper conductor or multi-strand silver-clad copper wrapped in micro-porous white Teflon tape, then it has a silver over copper flat ribbon spiral shield, then it has a silver-over copper braided shield, then a polyethylene jacket, then spiral wrapped stainless-steel armor, and then finally a Teflon jacket. This cable like some of its earlier siblings were designed for micro-wave level telemetry in military aircraft from the phased array radar back to the cockpit electronics.

The bottom line here is that although designed for a completely different application it serves the music better than any so-called audio cable I've ever tried --and that includes the Nordost Odin.

June 8th, 2016, 3:32 pm

Yup. Doubled up runs sound.. alright. LOL, probably good for a zillion GHz but not up to short runs of 20Hz to 20kHZ?

Roscoe Primrose wrote:If you buy the Gore cables from the listing above, make the guy a low-ball offer, he took my offer of $175 for 55' of the same cable as here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gore-Phaseflex- ... 2115145663

Pete - You talking about that approximately 1/8" cable? That's standard telco 735 cable used for short DS-3 runs. I've used the 1/4" 734 cable, which is for longer DS-3 runs, for speaker cables with good results. The 735 cable ought to make great digital cables as well.

Roscoe

June 8th, 2016, 3:34 pm

Do you use a single run with the inner most shield as return and the outer shield as connected at source-end only shield? Or run double runs using the doubled center connectors for signal?

SoundMods wrote:The LMR-100 is crude compared to the Phaseflex. The Phaseflex comes in two flavors and I've equal success with both. Either a highly polished silver-clad copper conductor or multi-strand silver-clad copper wrapped in micro-porous white Teflon tape, then it has a silver over copper flat ribbon spiral shield, then it has a silver-over copper braided shield, then a polyethylene jacket, then spiral wrapped stainless-steel armor, and then finally a Teflon jacket. This cable like some of its earlier siblings were designed for micro-wave level telemetry in military aircraft from the phased array radar back to the cockpit electronics.

The bottom line here is that although designed for a completely different application it serves the music better than any so-called audio cable I've ever tried --and that includes the Nordost Odin.

June 8th, 2016, 3:43 pm

Let's move further Phaseflex discussion to the thread I started in project discussions...

Roscoe

June 8th, 2016, 4:06 pm

Welcome, Vassils! :handgestures-thumbupleft:

June 8th, 2016, 9:45 pm

Try RG-223/U for a real good cable. I tried a lot of fancy coax, liked this the best.

I still have a few hundred feet laying around. Can bring some to Audiofest as party favors

I gave Roscoe a chunk but don't know if he ever tried it.

I sent a pair to a manufacturer one time dressed up in a fancy nickel plated mesh wrap. Jean Hiraga got a hold of them somehow and declared it one of the three best cables in the world.

Silver plated copper center, double silver plated shield. Solid PE insulator (usually I like foam or solid PE over teflon).

I would characterize this as a somewhat colorful, organic sounding cable. Hi-rez/incisive is a lot easier to get than rich musical sound.

June 9th, 2016, 10:20 am

TubeDriver wrote:I got about 100' of something (LMR-100?) with the same general characteristics (but a LOT cheaper and not early as nice?). By same characteristics, I mean coax design, solid core center conductor with PTFE insulation, foil and also a braided shield under some type of gray jacket. Very detailed/clean but thin and lightweight sounding. I doubled up runs for a balanced connection (more full sounding) between my TT and phono stage but I could never get that last visage of leanness out of it. Rosco used to run this in his system and I got it from him.

My impression of solid-core/foil shield is the same. Don't care for it. The 7502 with stranded core and single braided shield is far more natural sounding.

June 9th, 2016, 12:52 pm

J-ROB wrote:Try RG-223/U for a real good cable. I tried a lot of fancy coax, liked this the best.

I still have a few hundred feet laying around. Can bring some to Audiofest as party favors

I made up a long set that we used at CAF last year. Haven't gotten around to trying it at home yet...

Roscoe

June 9th, 2016, 5:58 pm

SoundMods wrote:Try the connectors I provided a link to.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Pcs-RCA-Hi-Fi ... SwGotWkvJD

They came today, very nice build quality! Unfortunately I will not be able to use them on the Scott, the collet lock make them too big to set next to each other although I could make them work easily without using the collects, thanks

June 9th, 2016, 6:03 pm

J-ROB wrote:Try RG-223/U for a real good cable. I tried a lot of fancy coax, liked this the best.

I sent a pair to a manufacturer one time dressed up in a fancy nickel plated mesh wrap. Jean Hiraga got a hold of them somehow and declared it one of the three best cables in the world.

Silver plated copper center, double silver plated shield. Solid PE insulator (usually I like foam or solid PE over teflon).

I would characterize this as a somewhat colorful, organic sounding cable. Hi-rez/incisive is a lot easier to get than rich musical sound.

well sign me up for some of those party favors, Joe!
Post a reply