New users MUST post an introduction here to gain full membership
Post a reply

May 6th, 2024, 9:43 am

Hello to everyone,
I'm new to DIY electronic gear and looking to learn and maybe build something one day.
I recently met a few of the members at the memorial service for Dave Pouge and this sparked an interest while listening to their stories of interactions with Dave and his building of a fantastic audio system.

Re: New Member

May 6th, 2024, 11:17 am

Welcome to the group. I'm in Silver Spring where are you?

May 6th, 2024, 11:20 am

Welcome from Parkville, Maryland. :obscene-drinkingcheers:

May 6th, 2024, 11:22 am

Welcome
from
Baltimore

May 6th, 2024, 11:34 am

John,

Welcome! DIY audio is a great way to enjoy this hobby and there is nothing like the pride and self satisfaction of saying "I built this". Some people approach it as a way of saving money compared with commercial equipment. Others realize it is a way of being unconstrained by cost and building better that what is available commercially, including trying out ideas that are not considered commercially viable.

The best entre is probably a modification or kit rather than a scratch build. Don't be overly ambitious at the start, think of something simple to learn basic techniques and build up from there. Great first projects are a desktop or headphone amp or speakers for a second system. There are some good projects at the DIYAudio.com store, albeit mainly solid state. For speakers there is always Parts Express. If interested in tubes, there are a few kits out there, but not so many as in times past. So think about a first project to tackle.

David

May 6th, 2024, 12:04 pm

In addition to Parts Express there is Madisound which has higher quality kits -

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/speaker-kits/

May 6th, 2024, 2:20 pm

Welcome aboard!

See: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2323

Roscoe
Post a reply