DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently May 2nd, 2024, 5:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 182 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 19  Next
PostPosted: July 31st, 2017, 2:28 pm 

Jim G wrote:
Grover Gardner wrote:
I'll start again here. So Jim, what are you using for a server in your highly efficient system?

I've been using a DLNA renderer (Sonore) servered from my NAS as described above, and as Charlie does. Lower noise floor and more dynamic range than coming off a PC.

However, my system (speakers/amps) can't reproduce a reasonable 3 dimensional soundstage, rather it's 2 dimensional. It has depth and width, but not the 3rd dimension of complete transparency with instruments layered.

Charlie's system has the ability to be very 3 dimensional. I heard it with his analogue set up when we 1st met, but his digital rig didn't do it at that time. Now, his digital is as good or better than the analogue.

Because we both serve music from our NAS the same way, and are using DLNA devices, we can drop mine in his system or vice versa easily. Put mine in his system it becomes 2 dimensional. Put his in my system, it stays 2 dimensional. Put his in his system without the LPS, it becomes 2 dimensional. Hope that makes sense.

I recognize these kinds of observations are annoying. I'm sure there's nothing to be measured that can explain it. Most of us probably don't have systems capable of exposing the difference, but if you do, his server/renderer is a good model to follow and not crazy expensive.

No, I understand what you're saying. :-) If I'm not mistaken, Charlie has a custom-built server with Minimserver and MPD installed, is that correct?

Last edited by Grover Gardner on July 31st, 2017, 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: July 31st, 2017, 2:42 pm 

Going off in a slightly different direction, I bought a $25 Chromecast Audio puck to experiment with streaming with Qobuz. The sound quality can best be described as 'ordinary' but I wondered if it could be improved. I found the following tear down which describes the innards at step 11.

https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Chromecast+2015+Teardown/50189

If you click on the images they enlarge to a very detailed view.

I was wondering if a superior power supply ( or perhaps battery powered) and feeding the DAC outputs to something other than the DRV632 might be feasible.

Considering what the device can do and getting rid of the USB interface and all the extraneous stuff going on in a typical PC, I am intrigued.

Any ideas.

By the way, I love Qobuz though I do get a bit of buffering occasionally. As a classical music fan, I really enjoy going through the Gramophone magazine and adding the interesting recordings to a playlist. I have heard so many new artists I have never heard before and new music as well of course.

ray

PostPosted: July 31st, 2017, 2:51 pm 

Grover Gardner wrote:
No, I understand what you're saying. :-) If I'm not mistaken, Charlie has a custom-built server with Minimserver installed and MPD installed, is that correct?

I wouldn't say custom. It's the CAPS Carbon v3 as described at Computer Audiophile, though built by Small Green Computer, not him. The big improvement he made (I believe) was stripping Windows and installing Linux, and then setting it up a DLNA renderer. MinimServer installed on the NAS. The renderer (computer) doesn't *serve* the music, the NAS does, if my lingo is right. Also, of course, the LPS.

PostPosted: July 31st, 2017, 3:09 pm 

Cogito wrote:
Stuart,

You left out key part of my post.

Quote:
I really don't understand how SOTM works or under what conditions it improves the audio.

For the sake of clarification, I am not a naysayer. I dont believe in DBTs.

In my experience, there is no holy grail in audio. A gizmo that sounds wonderful in one system might not be so good in the other. Jim said above he found the Charlies SOTM noisy in his setup.

Its all about synergy of the components.

Having said all that, whats wrong in trying to understand the technology? What wrong in knowledge seeking?

Some DAC's may have internal power supplies, but the USB receiver maybe bus powered. The XMOS async USB receivers use low phase noise clocks that supply the DAC clocks. If they are powered by the USB +5VDC power, that can be another noise source.

Case in point is using the DIY XMOS based USB receivers like I did last year for CAF2016 in the DIY HiRez DAC. The XMOS board was powered by the USB bus. Improvements can probably be made by adding a separate regulated DC power supply for the USB receiver and modifying the board to use it.

PostPosted: July 31st, 2017, 3:11 pm 

Jim G wrote:
Grover Gardner wrote:
No, I understand what you're saying. :-) If I'm not mistaken, Charlie has a custom-built server with Minimserver installed and MPD installed, is that correct?

I wouldn't say custom. It's the CAPS Carbon v3 as described at Computer Audiophile, though built by Small Green Computer, not him. The big improvement he made (I believe) was stripping Windows and installing Linux, and then setting it up a DLNA renderer. MinimServer installed on the NAS. The renderer (computer) doesn't *serve* the music, the NAS does, if my lingo is right. Also, of course, the LPS.

If I understand you correctly MinimServers running on NAS (Linux) is streaming the music and DLNA server running on Linux is making it available to devices. So, if Charlie found that Linux based DLNA is better than Windows based DLNA, no surprise from me. But the real heart of the system is still MinimServer running on Linux. How would the MinumServer connected directly to DAC (ie: removing the extra DLNA layer) sound?

PostPosted: July 31st, 2017, 3:14 pm 

Cogito wrote:

....In my experience, there is no holy grail in audio. A gizmo that sounds wonderful in one system might not be so good in the other. Jim said above he found the Charlies SOTM noisy in his setup....

Agreed. And yes, his renderer installed in my system couldn't make the system do something (be 3 dimensional) it wasn't capable of doing. Sadly, no miracle there, and it was a little noisy compared to mine. You have no idea how much I was hoping for more (some) transparency.

PostPosted: July 31st, 2017, 3:15 pm 

HAL wrote:
Cogito wrote:
Stuart,

You left out key part of my post.

Quote:
I really don't understand how SOTM works or under what conditions it improves the audio.

For the sake of clarification, I am not a naysayer. I dont believe in DBTs.

In my experience, there is no holy grail in audio. A gizmo that sounds wonderful in one system might not be so good in the other. Jim said above he found the Charlies SOTM noisy in his setup.

Its all about synergy of the components.

Having said all that, whats wrong in trying to understand the technology? What wrong in knowledge seeking?

Some DAC's may have internal power supplies, but the USB receiver maybe bus powered. The XMOS async USB receivers use low phase noise clocks that supply the DAC clocks. If they are powered by the USB +5VDC power, that can be another noise source.

Case in point is using the DIY XMOS based USB receivers like I did last year for CAF2016 in the DIY HiRez DAC. The XMOS board was powered by the USB bus. Improvements can probably be made by adding a separate regulated DC power supply for the USB receiver and modifying the board to use it.

DIYINHK Isolated (electrically) XMOS which I am using is powered by the low noise linear power supply from the DAC. It doesnt work with USB power supply. In my case, SOTM linear power supply which costs additional $300 may not provide any sonic benefits.

http://www.diyinhk.com/shop/audio-kits/ ... d-pcb.html

Last edited by Cogito on July 31st, 2017, 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: July 31st, 2017, 3:17 pm 

Cogito wrote:
...If I understand you correctly MinimServers running on NAS (Linux) is streaming the music and DLNA server running on Linux is making it available to devices. So, if Charlie found that Linux based DLNA is better than Windows based DLNA, no surprise from me. But the real heart of the system is still MinimServer running on Linux. How would the MinumServer connected directly to DAC (ie: removing the extra DLNA layer) sound?

I believe your description is right on. I don't know/think you can eliminate the renderer.

PostPosted: July 31st, 2017, 3:29 pm 

Jim G wrote:
Grover Gardner wrote:

Thanks for the correction!

PostPosted: July 31st, 2017, 3:31 pm 

Jim G wrote:
I believe your description is right on. I don't know/think you can eliminate the renderer.

DLNA is a convenience device. It doesnt add anything to the quality of the audio stream.

I believe MinimServer can run on a computer. Since you already have a linux box for DLNA, I would install MinimServer on it, disable DLNA, connect the box directly to DAC and play the music. You might be in for a sweet surprise.

I have a QNAP NAS which I use only as a storage and file sharing system.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 182 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 19  Next