A place for discussion of general audio, music and related topics.
Post a reply

More on Streaming possibilities

March 6th, 2022, 11:51 am

While at the Florida Audio Expo last month I ran into Richard Hollis. We were in pretty much agreement that there was not much to write home about. I only found four rooms that I would call musical. I think there would have been some pretty good-sounding speakers if the electronics held up.
Anyway Richard let me know that he is selling a Win10 based music server that is about the size of a deck of cards. When he showed it to me I would have bet this was a Raspberry Pi but he assured me its Win10.
So he lent me an example and I finally got to unboxing and setting it up. Yes it booted up to the familiar Win10 desktop with HAL logo. I comes pre loaded with Foobar and REW and has a measurement mick included.
I loaded up JRiver and was soon listening to my music library on a NAS.
At first listen, all is very good and I will be comparing to my other servers. A full Windows AMD Ryan 5 tower with JRiver. A RasPi 3b running Picore and my Innous Zenith.

Re: More on Streaming possibilities

March 6th, 2022, 5:07 pm

Did you happen to spend any time in the Soundfield Speaker room? Impressions?

USB cable choice could make as much or more of a difference as any of those bridges, and clean power on the ones with cheap switching supplies.

March 7th, 2022, 8:08 am

Yes I have known AJ for quite awhile. He use to come to CAF to show his prototypes and get feedback on his developments.
AJ showed a pair of 4 way active towers. Each driver powered by a core Modular’s with DSP xover for each driver.
It was interesting but not something I would buy

March 14th, 2022, 4:36 pm

Paul,
Glad the HAL MS-6 is up and running and playing music for you with your system.

I use mine to drive the Danville Signal dspNexus2x8 DSP processor and 8 channel DAC for crossovers to the Line Array and Servo Subs.

The GaN based USBC power supply for the MS-6 is very quiet running DSP or DAC's here.

Have fun with it!

Best,
Rich
Post a reply