DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently May 23rd, 2024, 5:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: May 11th, 2024, 2:59 pm 

Any US Distributors of Soundeck Vibration Isolation Squares?

https://soundeck.bigcartel.com/product/ ... 8G3TlWklfE

PostPosted: May 11th, 2024, 3:51 pm 

It appears they ship direct from the UK. No mention of dealers. Those are pretty small items, shipping shouldn't be very expensive and I don't think there would be any customs charges.

PostPosted: May 11th, 2024, 4:19 pm 

If you want a DIY approach, you can buy Sorbothane sheets of various durometers and thicknesses on Amazon. You can cut pieces to size. The nice thing about Sorbothane is it is not as elastic as other rubbers and absorbs the vibrations and turns them into heat. I have used various pieces in different applications with great results. I even use it in applications like under my bench grinder to isolate vibrations from it from the work bench.

PostPosted: May 11th, 2024, 4:30 pm 

Thank you all. I will go with the Sorbothane.

PostPosted: May 12th, 2024, 12:08 pm 

@brombo
If you are still looking, I can recommend these products -- good science/physics behind the [isolation] design --

Quote:
Norman Varney is the Principal Consultant for A/V RoomService, Ltd. established in 2001. During AVRS, Norman was Acoustical Product Development Manager for Kinetics Noise Control,
and prior to AVRS, was with Owens Corning at the Science & Technology Center where he was a Senior Engineer with the Acoustic Systems Business as the Acoustic Design Center Lead.
He has spent a considerable amount of time testing in anechoic chambers, reverberation chambers, and acoustic labs in general.

https://avroomservice.com/

PostPosted: May 12th, 2024, 10:04 pm 

Don't forget these handy items:

https://www.supplyhouse.com/sh/control/ ... t_id=MP-2E

I bought an entire box when folks were talking about them. They work pretty well to isolate and reduce vibrations.

PostPosted: May 13th, 2024, 11:49 am 

Grover Gardner wrote:
Don't forget these handy items:

https://www.supplyhouse.com/sh/control/ ... t_id=MP-2E

I bought an entire box when folks were talking about them. They work pretty well to isolate and reduce vibrations.

Thans for the link. I was looking for isolation feet just yesterday.

PostPosted: May 13th, 2024, 12:30 pm 

Remember that vibration control is a mass-compliance issue. The lower the mass of the part being isolated, the higher the compliance of the absorber must be to lower the resonant frequency. Think of a car suspension where the mass of the car is suspended on springs which are the compliance part and the shock absorbers are the lossy part which converts the motion into heat to prevent repetitive oscillations. For my turntable base, I built an MDF box filled with sand and suspended it on four Sorbothane feet. The resonant frequency of that box with the turntable and the feet is well below the resonant frequency of the arm/cartridge resonance. You can jump on the floor until your feet get sore and the turntable will not skip.