Switch to full style
A place to discuss member's DIY audio projects & post pictures/schematics. NOTE: There is a limit of 2MB per attachment, and a maximum of 3 attachments per message. If you need to post more than 3 attachments, just add another message.
Post a reply

Affordable Speaker Crossover Caps

January 7th, 2015, 10:06 pm

I know, they all suck, BUT, I need to do some testing and need quite a few caps in the 3uF-~10uF range (TBD). I have lots of those horrific Solens and numbers of other crap caps. I can't really evaluate (subjectively) sound with these, but can't afford lots of really good ones.

Any suggestions for affordable caps?

Stuart

Re: Affordable Speaker Crossover Caps

January 8th, 2015, 12:27 am

Not right off. But, remember, with 2.2, 3.3 & 4.7 you can make 2.2, 3.3, 4.7, 5.5, 6.9, 8.0 & 10.2. When you do figure out what to buy, buy smart...

Roscoe

January 8th, 2015, 12:28 am

Will do, R

January 8th, 2015, 9:40 am

Old oil caps sound pretty good in a lot of ways.

January 8th, 2015, 11:28 am

Stuart,

Leslie has hundreds of caps and I believe he has tried every kind under the sun. Let me know what values you need and I will pass it on.

Don Diego

January 12th, 2015, 10:49 am

Thanks Don Diego. I need to experiment to figure out what I need, (the DCX2496 my calibrated mike and Room Equalization Wizard software will help in this regard), so a selection is needed. If Leslie is selling at prices my wallet can handle, then I'd be happy to work out a deal.

I'm goofing around with four combinations of upper bass/midrange drivers and tweeters:

Radio Shack 4" (Fostex?) & Dayton Mini8 air motion transformer
Sony console 8" & Radio Shack Minimus 7 tweeter
Philips 4" & Radio Shack ribbon tweeter
Bohlender Graebener Neo8 & Dayton PT2C-8

So I have 4 & 8 ohm drivers here and only rudimentary and unreliable manufacturers' data to go by. I don't even know which crossover order or type filters I'll be using. But, as a general range, the number's Roscoe mentioned are a good start: 1, 2.2, 3.3, 3.9, 4.7, 6.8, 8.2, 10. Four of each of those values gives me a decent experimenter's box. Crossover points may be as high as 10k (the AMT), but probably no lower than 3k.

If I buy new, I'm thinking about using the Obbligato film/oil caps with a Vishay/Roederstein MKP1837 bypass.

http://www.partsconnexion.com/capacitor ... o_oil.html

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Vis ... Y4Esfn0%3d

As a side note, the Neo8 appears to have NO vertical dispersion at all! Ears must be level with it. However, in it's range, it is very fast and clean. But I question seriously anyone who suggests using it below ~1k.

Stuart

August 23rd, 2015, 12:23 pm

I realize your post is old, but I have a cache of 5-ufd @ 450-wvdc caps that can and do embarrass "so-called" audiophile caps.

They're Electronic Concepts metalized polypropylene caps designed for military and aerospace work and have a self-resonance beyond 250-kHz.

The type that I found that are better are the Teflon V-caps. I can just sell whatever quantity you wish to have straight out -- or provide you with matched pairs or quads or whatever.

Just let me know.

August 24th, 2015, 3:26 pm

SoundMods wrote:I realize your post is old, but I have a cache of 5-ufd @ 450-wvdc caps that can and do embarrass "so-called" audiophile caps.

They're Electronic Concepts metalized polypropylene caps designed for military and aerospace work and have a self-resonance beyond 250-kHz.

The type that I found that are better are the Teflon V-caps. I can just sell whatever quantity you wish to have straight out -- or provide you with matched pairs or quads or whatever.

Just let me know.

Letting you "know". Interested. Will you be at the CAF?

August 24th, 2015, 4:12 pm

Hi Stuart!

Have we met at Roscoe's? I would not be sure as to how to recognize you. I can bring a sample or a "boat load."

I just haven't decided whether I am going to take the Metro or drive in.

August 24th, 2015, 4:27 pm

SoundMods wrote:Hi Stuart!

Have we met at Roscoe's? I would not be sure as to how to recognize you. I can bring a sample or a "boat load."

I just haven't decided whether I am going to take the Metro or drive in.

No sir, we have not met. You'd remember........sadly.

Not sure how much such things will cost, so probably eight would be a decent sample set.

Thanks,

Stuart

BTW, pic was a few years back. Maybe 40.
Attachments
joe-dirt.jpg
Post a reply