A place to discuss member's DIY audio projects & post pictures/schematics. NOTE: There is a limit of 2MB per attachment, and a maximum of 3 attachments per message. If you need to post more than 3 attachments, just add another message.
Post a reply

Infinity Kappa 8 speaker rebuild with DSP crossover

May 15th, 2024, 7:25 am

A friend found a pair of Infinity Kappa 8 speakers that need the Polydome K's and 12in woofers rebuilt. I picked them up awhile ago. Not going to complain for $80/pair. :)I

These are the original version 4-way speaker with the bipole EMIT planar tweeters, Polydome K, Polygraph K dome and 12in woofer.

Found out that Miller Sound in PA does the rebuilds, so hope to be dropping them off this weekend.

Will post pictures of the process along the way of replacing the passive crossover with the DSP crossover from measurements.

Re: Infinity Kappa 8 speaker rebuild with DSP crossover

May 15th, 2024, 8:20 am

Which DSP crossover are you using?

I found this review which might be of interest -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3t4DXio ... haelAndrew

May 15th, 2024, 8:29 am

Using the Danville Signal dspNexus 2x8 DSP processor:

https://www.danvillesignal.com/dspnexus ... -processor

Thanks for the video! Will give it a look! :D

May 15th, 2024, 2:14 pm

Great speaker but the 90 Hz crossover point will put a lot of strain on the 5" lower mid driver. I'd try a 200 Hz crossover with the Nexus which should improve dynamic capabilities. The 12" woofer will still be omni at that frequency.

May 15th, 2024, 3:43 pm

Tom,
Thanks for the suggestion!

Already have a prototype DSP crossover ready, so will update it with the suggested XO for the 12in and 5in drivers.

Rich

May 15th, 2024, 3:53 pm

The beginning of the Infinity Kappa 8 DSP crossover design with DSP Concepts Audio Weaver for the dspNexus 2x8.
Attachments
InfinityKapp8XO-test.jpg
Post a reply