Switch to full style
A place to discuss member's DIY audio projects & post pictures/schematics. NOTE: There is a limit of 2MB per attachment, and a maximum of 3 attachments per message. If you need to post more than 3 attachments, just add another message.
Post a reply

Re: Converting Magnepan MG10QR's to DSP crossover

November 5th, 2023, 1:15 pm

HAL wrote:Built a phono cartridge cable RCA to XLR interface box to drive the RIAA Phono capability in the dspNexus 2x8. It is a fully balanced phono interface to the coils. Setup with 47K Ohm resistance load and nominal capacitor for the Shure cartridge in the tonearm.

I put in a few different grounding modes, so testing it with the Oracle Delphi MKI and Linn Sondek LP12 should be interesting.

Welcome to the balanced-line phono playback club. And yes -- to the naysayers -- it definitely is an improvement over single-ended RCA connections.
Attachments
Denon XLR Outputs.JPG

November 5th, 2023, 1:25 pm

Nice balanced phono interface box!

Looking forward to giving this a try.

November 5th, 2023, 2:43 pm

HAL wrote:Nice balanced phono interface box!

Looking forward to giving this a try.

Thank you! All compliments are appreciated. Before I went to the "Dark Side" and went to an optical cartridge I was using a moving-coil cartridge with a full complimentary phono stage. XLR in XLR out.

The playback was quite remarkable -- the DS Audio came along and the rest is history.

BTW -- balanced line is perfect for moving-coil cartridges -- moving magnet not so much.

November 12th, 2023, 11:46 pm

Just finished packing after CAF.

Found the wiring problem in the phono interface box and without a soldering iron no easy way to fix it.

Great to see mix4fix and Roscoe stop by. Always good to catch-up when possible.
Attachments
HAL-CAF2023Room.jpg
Post a reply