DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently May 10th, 2024, 8:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
PostPosted: June 19th, 2023, 8:01 am 

Time to dig into the original passive crossover in the MG10QR's.

It was easy with my old MGIIB's, as they were setup for biamping on the speaker connection panel.

If both sets of speaker terminals for the QR tweeter and bass panel are not available, there will be a little rewiring and some new labels added.

Attachments:
811675-2df751d8-magnepan-mg10-qr.jpg
811675-2df751d8-magnepan-mg10-qr.jpg [ 107.16 KiB | Viewed 729405 times ]

PostPosted: June 20th, 2023, 7:03 am 

Removed the connector plate and the crossover uses fast on connectors to the drivers. That will make it easy to disconnect the original crossover, install 4 new 5-way binding posts and install them on the rear plate. Will keep the original parts for later.

Attachments:
MG10QR-XO-original.jpg
MG10QR-XO-original.jpg [ 1.32 MiB | Viewed 729377 times ]

PostPosted: June 20th, 2023, 9:45 am 

HAL wrote:
Removed the connector plate and the crossover uses fast on connectors to the drivers. That will make it easy to disconnect the original crossover, install 4 new 5-way binding posts and install them on the rear plate. Will keep the original parts for later.

Not sure if this accurate, but only reference I could find: schematic — https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php ... t-13060265

PostPosted: June 20th, 2023, 9:55 am 

I found that schematic as well. There are a few things wrong. The first is that it has the fuse on the quasi-ribbon only. Not sure about parts values shown without measuring them.

Have not measured the components, but there are 2 jumpers vs the 1 shown. It would have been easy if it was set it up like the earlier MGIIB's, as they were built for biamping. Even had an upgrade to buy a passive low level biamp crossover that worked. Used two Hafler DH220's in the day.

More important is to start with new frequency response measurements with REW and dspNexus 2x8 with the phantom powered mic input.

PostPosted: June 21st, 2023, 8:50 am 

Started making the 4 wires to go from the driver terminals to the back plate with 1/4in fast-ons and 14awg Benden 1309 stranded wire. Picking up the ring lugs today for when the Superior Electric 5-way binding posts arrive.

If the SE 5-ways are good enough for CTC Builders after a lot of trials for the BBQ power amps, I am good with them. Will remove 4 of the original MG10QR sockets and replace them with the 5-way's.

PostPosted: June 21st, 2023, 9:39 am 

This "MUG's" URL might be of interest -- an active LR4 might be a very good match for the MG10, once you figure out the crossover points [via freq response] - FYI: These panels lend themselves to being suspending between two ladders, and shot 'a good distance' from the ground; I have done this early morning [0530] -- honda generator running "inside" the car, windows slightly cracked, 20 meters away from LM3886 amps -- in a football field, and you can get good results (as long as the wind is not blowing). Windowing the impulse is always problematic.

http://www.integracoustics.com/MUG/MUG/ ... g1.6xo.htm

-- Charles

PostPosted: June 21st, 2023, 11:22 am 

cport wrote:
This "MUG's" URL might be of interest -- an active LR4 might be a very good match for the MG10, once you figure out the crossover points [via freq response] - FYI: These panels lend themselves to being suspending between two ladders, and shot 'a good distance' from the ground; I have done this early morning [0530] -- honda generator running "inside" the car, windows slightly cracked, 20 meters away from LM3886 amps -- in a football field, and you can get good results (as long as the wind is not blowing). Windowing the impulse is always problematic.

-- Charles

NF? I do hope that was a typo. 1-nf is 1,000-pf

PostPosted: June 21st, 2023, 11:28 am 

SoundMods wrote:
cport wrote:

-- Charles

NF? I do hope that was a typo. 1-nf is 1,000-pf

Likely a question for "Dave Reite" -- not "me,myself,or I" -- Charles

Last edited by cport on June 23rd, 2023, 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: June 21st, 2023, 2:00 pm 

Will be using these with my 3x12 OB servo subs below 80Hz. Will have high rate L-R crossovers to help with power handling on the planars.

Still have some 8in servo subs to try with the servo amps. Just waiting to hear about the modular 8in OB H-Frames in work.

PostPosted: June 23rd, 2023, 7:01 am 

Have the 8-Superior Electric 5-way binding posts coming soon, so made the wiring to go with them.

Will just store the original wiring in the back of the speaker with the picture for future use if needed.

Time to get the original Orchard Audio BOSC amps out of storage to give this a try. Luckily do not seem to have any water damage.

After a lot of rain recently, the new lot grading seems to have worked to solve the water drainage problem. Have one more project for the excavators to look at and then time for drywall and flooring install. Then I can work with SonitusUSA about the room treatments. All the original ASC Tube traps, Sonex Foam, GIK absorber panels, RPG Abfusors and foam are gone. Time for Audio Room v2.0.

Also have a pair of Magna Risers Mk7 or Airborne v2 stands coming for the MG10QR's to install. Depends on which are available soon as both have parts on back order at this point.

Attachments:
MG10QR-Biwire-connections.jpg
MG10QR-Biwire-connections.jpg [ 408.29 KiB | Viewed 729310 times ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next