Switch to full style
A place to discuss member's DIY audio projects & post pictures/schematics. NOTE: There is a limit of 2MB per attachment, and a maximum of 3 attachments per message. If you need to post more than 3 attachments, just add another message.
Post a reply

Re: Broskie's Unbalancer

May 4th, 2023, 8:46 am

Stuart,
An observation.

The E70V has an excellent "digital" attenuator in the AK4499 DAC. A 32bit DAC is designed to do both 20-24bit DAC + 8-12bit digital attenuator. Since the output of the DAC is an R2R Ladder DAC, very similar to the stepped attenuator version you have from P-E.

A thing to try is dropping the DAC output down 24dB with the volume control and maxing out the VC on the line stage. That is a really good way to see if there is any difference in sound quality.

I found using the E70V volume control and maxing out the HPA VC had better sound quality.

Just a thought.
Rich

May 4th, 2023, 9:11 am

ZOWIE! You've been busy dotting the i's and crossing the t's. The Miflex caps are a major find. They certainly transformed my speaker crossovers to beyond expectations.

May 4th, 2023, 2:22 pm

HAL wrote:Stuart,
An observation.

The E70V has an excellent "digital" attenuator in the AK4499 DAC. A 32bit DAC is designed to do both 20-24bit DAC + 8-12bit digital attenuator. Since the output of the DAC is an R2R Ladder DAC, very similar to the stepped attenuator version you have from P-E.

A thing to try is dropping the DAC output down 24dB with the volume control and maxing out the VC on the line stage. That is a really good way to see if there is any difference in sound quality.

I found using the E70V volume control and maxing out the HPA VC had better sound quality.

Just a thought.
Rich

That's a super easy "mod" to try. Thanks Rich, I'll let you know if the difference shows up in my rig.

Stuart

May 4th, 2023, 2:23 pm

SoundMods wrote:ZOWIE! You've been busy dotting the i's and crossing the t's. The Miflex caps are a major find. They certainly transformed my speaker crossovers to beyond expectations.

My thanks to Charlie for letting me know about them.
Post a reply